Spring has just arrived, and before you know it, temperatures will begin to rise and summer’s heat will be in full swing. You’re going to want your air conditioning unit to be in tip-top shape so you can cool off. But what happens if you find yourself with a broken air conditioning unit on an unexpectedly hot day? This is why you should check your AC unit and take care of air conditioning repair in Sioux Falls, SD before summer arrives.
Check your AC unit before summer starts
Freezing temperatures and an accumulation of dust and debris can wreak havoc on an AC system if it’s not repaired after winter. There are a number of things you should do to prepare your AC unit for summer. A physical inspection of the indoor and outdoor parts of your AC unit can indicate a need for air conditioning repair in Sioux Falls, SD:
- Remove condenser unit covers or lids: Many people cover their outdoor unit during winter months to protect it from snow and debris. Forgetting to remove the cover before starting the unit limits heat transfer and can cause serious damage to the system.
- Check outdoor condenser unit panels: Look at the outdoor unit’s panels to make sure none are misaligned or missed altogether. If something doesn’t look right on the unit, replace the panel or call a professional to repair it.
- Clear debris from outdoor unit coils and surrounding areas: Trash and vegetation will often find it’s way into the unit and cover the condenser unit coils, blocking proper air flow and heat transfer. Remove any debris from within the system. Also, clear the space around the unit.
- Change the air filters: Winter causes your AC unit’s air filters to collect a lot of dust, so be sure to clean or replace the filters. Dust can reduce airflow and the efficiency of your system.
- Check coil drainage hose: Make sure that the coil drainage hose, also known as a condensate line, is in place and draining properly. Failure to drain condensate can result in water spilling in unwanted places in your home, or even damage to the unit that will need professional repair.
- Turn it on and test it out: After you check all of the parts of your AC unit and have any damaged or missing parts repaired or replaced, turn on your unit and make sure it is working. Check it every few hours to make sure it continues to run. Listen for any strange noises and make sure there are no odd smells coming from the unit. If you do not feel cool air or something seems wrong, turn off the unit and immediately call for air conditioning repair in Sioux Falls, SD.
You don’t want to get stuck on a hot day without a working air conditioning unit, so make sure you check and prepare your unit now, before summer starts. If you have questions or require repairs, contact a professional right away.
Don’t wait until it’s too late! Call A & R Heating and Air Conditioning Inc. for air conditioning repair in Sioux Falls, SD. We have more than 15 years of experience and are the experts in providing emergency HVAC services!